(: April 25, 2019)
To become proficient in administering Linux boxes which opens a plethora of other opportunities such as DevOps, Cloud Computing and System Administration to mention a few, then a lot of work needs to be put in mastering Linux together with other tools. In the quest to master this niche, this article generously provides resources in form of books that will propel one in the right direction. You will not only be able to pass your LPI exams but you will stick with something much more. And that is the power to administer systems. If that sounds great, please stick with me all through..
“Courage is the most important of all the virtues because without courage, you can’t practice any other virtue consistently.”
― Maya Angelou
About LPIC-1 and LPIC-2 Certification
Linux Professional Institute (LPI) is the global certification standard and career support organization for open source professionals. LPIC-1 is the first certification in LPI’s multi-level Linux professional certification program. The LPIC-1 will validate the candidate’s ability to perform maintenance tasks on the command line, install and configure a computer running Linux and configure basic networking.
On the other hand, LPIC-2 is the second certification in LPI’s multi-level professional certification program. The LPIC-2 will validate the candidate’s ability to administer small to medium–sized mixed networks (lpi.org, 2019).
Best LPIC-1 Certification Study Books
Below is a list of the best LPIC-1 certification study books.
1. LPIC-1: Linux Professional Institute Certification Study Guide: Exams 101 and 102 3rd Edition by Roderick W. Smith
Relying on the extensive experience and in depth experience from the author, this practical book covers key Linux administration topics and all exam objectives and includes real-world examples and review questions to help you practice your skills. In addition, you’ll gain access to a full set of online study tools, including bonus practice exams, electronic flashcards, and more. This book is quite suitable for you because it:
- Prepares candidates to take the Linux Professional Institute exams 101 and 102 and achieve their LPIC-1 certification
- Covers all exam objectives and features expanded coverage on key topics in the exam
- Includes real-world scenarios, and challenging review questions
- Gives you online access to bonus practice exams, electronic flashcards, and a searchable glossary
- Topics include system architecture, installation, GNU and Unix commands, Linux filesystems, essential system services, networking fundamentals, security, and more
To get your LPIC-1 exam right and have a good understanding of Linux, get your copy by clicking on the link below:
2. Linux Command Line and Shell Scripting Bible, 3rd Edition
This book by Richard Blum serves as a basic and very essential Linux resource that will guide you with plenty of examples. Linux Command Line and Shell Scripting Bible goes right away into the fundamentals of the command line, introduces you to bash scripting which will be very important in your day to day Linux administration and goes an extra mile by providing detailed examples. The third edition being the latest release, it has new updated content and examples aligned with the latest Linux features which will help you fulfill the LPIC-1 objectives
What is attractive about this resource is how the author has gone out of the way to provide sound tutorials that you can easily follow through and actually understand. The examples are apt and relevant. Take is away from Amazon by clicking on the link below:
3. Linux Essentials, Second Edition
Authored by experts Christine Bresnahan and Richard Blum Linux Essentials has a professional approach that aims at developing one for Linux Administration profession as well as passing the Linux Essentials exam which can serve as a lasting foundation to Linux and LPIC-1 at the same time. It has hands-on tutorials and learning-by-doing style of learning that equip you with a solid foundation as well giving you the confidence to pass the Linux Exam. For beginners with a keen interest in joining the IT industry as a professional, this book is highly recommended. You can check the reviews at Amazon below:
4. Linux Bible 9th Edition
Brought to you by veteran bestselling author Christopher Negus and Christine Bresnahan (contributor), Linux Bible brings to you a complete tutorial packed with major updates, revisions, and hands-on exercises so that you can confidently start using Linux today. There are exercises in abundance aimed to make your learning interesting and hence enable it as a better learning tool. Moreover, Linux Bible places an emphasis on the Linux command line tools and can be used with all distributions and versions of Linux.
Check it out on:
5. Linux: The Complete Reference, Sixth Edition
Richard Petersen, a Linux Expert has once again released this book that gives the reader an in-depth coverage of all Linux features. As a beginner, you will have the advantage of having a thorough coverage of all aspects of Linux distributions ranging from shells, desktops, deployment of servers, management of applications, understanding security and a good grounding of basic network administration.
Linux: The Complete Reference is the ultimate guide where you will have the chance to learn how to:
- Administer any Linux distribution by installing and configuring them
- File and directory administration/manipulation from the BASH, TCSH, and Z shells
- Understand and use various desktop environments such as GNOME and KDE desktops, X Windows, and display managers
- Understand how to install essential applications such as office, database, connection to the Internet, and manage multimedia applications
- Have a good coverage of security by learning SELinux, netfilter, SSH, and Kerberos
- Get a good grounding of encryption such as encrypting network transmissions with GPG, LUKS, and IPsec
- Acquire skills of deploying FTP, Web, mail, proxy, print, news, and database servers and many more.
Check out the book at: Linux: Linux: The Complete Reference, Sixth Edition
Best LPIC-2 Certification Study Books
After you have had your LPIC-1 Certification and you have had the opportunity to practice your skills in administering systems, time will come when you will need to upgrade your certification level to get the trust from employers to handle more responsibilities in your wonderful career. This section gives you a place to select the resources that will help you climb the ladder stress-free.
1. LPIC-2: Linux Professional Institute Certification Study Guide: Exam 201 and Exam 202, 2nd Edition by Christine Bresnahan
The LPI-level 2 certification confirms your advanced Linux skill set, and the demand for qualified professionals continues to grow.
Christine once again goes over the objectives that LPIC-2 demands and produced this study guide that covers it all 100 percent. This book provides clear and concise coverage of the Linux administration topics you’ll need to know for exams 201 and 202. Crafted to benefit you to not only pass the exams, the examples provided highlight the real-world applications of important concepts, and together, the author team provides insights based on almost fifty years in the IT industry.
This brand new second edition has been completely revamped to align with the latest versions of the exams, with authoritative coverage of the Linux kernel, system startup, advanced storage, network configuration, system maintenance, web services, security, troubleshooting, and more.
You will be ahead by learning a lot for example:
- Understand all of the material for both LPIC-2 exams
- Gain insight into real-world applications
- Test your knowledge with chapter tests and practice exams
- Access online study aids for more thorough preparation
All this and more awaits you when you purchase your copy on the link below:
2. LPIC-2 Linux Professional Institute Certification Study Guide: Exams 201 and 202 1st Edition by Roderick W. Smith
Compiled from a long period of Linux exposure and confident experiences of Roderick, this book picks up from your LPIC-1 journey and takes you a step at a time to master the advanced stuff hidden in Linux. You will be sure to get satisfied by the manner in which the clear explanations and language has been done. This study guide provides unparalleled coverage of the LPIC-2 objectives for exams 201 and 202. Clear and concise coverage examines all Linux administration topics while practical, real-world examples enhance your learning process. What is more, the book:
- Prepares you for exams 201 and 202 of the Linux Professional Institute Certification
- Offers clear, concise coverage on exam topics such as the Linux kernel, system startup, networking configuration, system maintenance, domain name server, file sharing, and more
- Addresses additional key topics for the exams including network client management, e-mail services, system security, and troubleshooting
There is no other place to look than Amazon for a copy of this book. Click on the link below and you will be taken there
3. LPIC-2 Cert Guide: (201-400 and 202-400 exams) (Certification Guide) 1st Edition by William Rothwell
There is so much that one can learn from a veteran or one with so much experience in a given area of expertise especially when they go out of their way to put it all on paper. Expert Linux/Unix instructor William “Bo” Rothwell does this and shares preparation hints and test-taking tips, helping students identify areas of weakness and improve both conceptual knowledge and hands-on skills. Material is presented in a concise manner, focusing on increasing understanding and retention of exam topics such as
- Capacity planning
- Managing the kernel
- Managing system startup
- Managing filesystems and devices
- Administering advanced storage devices
- Configuring the network
- Performing system maintenance
- Administering Domain Name Server (DNS)
- Configuring web services
- Administering file sharing
- Managing network clients
- Administering e-mail services
- Administering system security
This can be of real value to your preparation process. If you are inspired, head over to Amazon and take a look at it below:
Thank you guys for reading through. May you, therefore, succeed in your relentless pursuit of success. Other helpful articles can be found below: