How do I find out my DNS server addresses under Linux, UNIX, Apple OS X/macOS, MS-Windows operating system? What is my dns server IP address under MS-Windows operating systems? Can you specify a list of public DNS server for personal use or game consoles?
DNS is an acronym for Domain Name System. DNS is key to many network services run on the Internet or LAN (Local Area Network) such as:
- Internet browsing
- Mail server
- Web server
- Video streaming and more.
Almost all traffic on the Internets depends upon the DNS servers. Most ISP (Internet Service Provider) have their caching DNS server to reduce network load. But, how do you find out DNS server IP address? How do you find out current DNS server IP address? Under Linux, FreeBSD and all UNIX-like operating systems you have a file called /etc/resolv.conf. It is often known as the resolver configuration file. If you are using MS-Windows version 7 / 8 / 10 (or older Vista / NT / 2000 / XP / 98) then see below for how to find out DNS server address under MS-Windows operating systems.
How to find out what my DNS servers address are on Linux/Unix/macOS
The resolver is a set of routines in the C library that provide access to the Internet Domain Name System (DNS). The resolver configuration file contains information that is read by the resolver routines the first time they are invoked by a process.
Commend to find out your dns servers ip address under Linux/BSD/Unixish system
To see your DNS server address type the following cat command as shell prompt:
$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
OR use the less command/more command shell pagers:
$ less /etc/resolv.conf
Another option is to use the grep command/egrep command:
nameserver 184.108.40.206 nameserver 220.127.116.11
- nameserver 18.104.22.168 : It is Name server IP address (in dot notation) of a name server that the resolver should query. All your application will use this IP address for DNS purpose.
Check out related media
The following video tutorial shows you how to find out your dns server IP address assigned by an ISP router or dhcp server under Linux or Unix operating systems using both command line and graphical user interfaces:
Click on Start button > Run > and Type command cmd > Press [enter] key
At DOS prompt type the command:
You should DNS server IP address, and other information related to Windows networking:
- You can Click on Start button > Settings > Network connections
- Double click on Local Area Connection
- Click on Properties button
- Select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
- Click on Properties button and Look for Preferred DNS Server:
Public DNS Servers
You can use the following Google public DNS (IP Addresses) servers for game consoles, routers, wifi devices, mobile phones or any other purpose:
They are free to all, pretty fast too and works with all sort of computers and game consoles.
- Free public dns server for personal and business use.
- How to find and change Nintendo Wii DNS server IP address
- /etc/resolve.conf example
- Linux: How to setup as DNS client?