- How To Set Up a New Email Account in Thunderbird
- How To Modify an Existing Email Account in Thunderbird
- How to Subscribe to IMAP Folders in Thunderbird
- These instructions are intended specifically for setting up an email account in Mozilla Thunderbird 38.3.0 on Mac OS X 10.11.1.
- While the steps should be similar across platforms and operating systems, they may not necessarily apply to older versions of Thunderbird.
- For help with general email account settings, see How to Set up Any Email Client.
When connecting to your email server using the IMAP protocol, you have the ability to choose the specific mail folders to which you wish to subscribe.
Step #1: Open IMAP Folder Subscriptions
- Right-click on your email account’s Inbox in Thunderbird and then select Subscribe from the menu list.
- In the Folder List window, you will see a list of all the email folders in your account on the server. Folders to which you already are subscribed will appear with a check mark.
Step #2: Manage IMAP Folder Subscriptions
- You can manage your folder subscriptions by clicking on the folder name in the Folder List window and then using the Subscribe or Unsubscribe buttons on the right.
- Once you’ve finished making changes, click the OK button. It may take a few moments for the folder list to update in your Mail pane.